American Diabetes Association Alert Day®
American Diabetes Association Alert Day® is a one-day "wake-up call" asking the American public to take the Diabetes Risk Test to find out if they are at risk for developing .
Today, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, is Alert Day.
The Diabetes Risk Test asks users to answer simple questions about weight, age, family history and other potential risk factors for prediabetes or type 2 diabetes. Preventive tips are provided for everyone who takes the test, including encouraging those at high risk to talk with their health care provider.
- See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/are-you-at-risk/diabetes-risk-test/
Did you know?
There are an estimated 79 million, or one in three American adults, who have prediabetes. Those with prediabetes have blood glucose (sugar) higher than normal, but not high enough to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Early intervention via lifestyle changes such as weight loss and increased physical activity can help delay or prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes.
During winter time, we can easily forget to care for our feet. Valentine's Day is the day not just remind you of your loved one but also yourself. Your feet need more TLC during this frigid weather than any other time. Hiding them in the boots or slippers would not keep the problems away.
How would you like to take care your feet during this Valentine's season?
Here are some quick tips:
- Inspect your feet everyday.
- Dry your feet after shower, before put your feet back into those fuzzy slippers.
- Moisturize your feet to prevent crack and dryness on the heel.
- Stretch your feet, toes at the end of the day or after long day of on foot activities.
- Keep those toes warm with socks when wear shoes, this also would prevent blisters and hematoma.
- Pedicure or foot massage session here and there can go a long way to keep those tootsies pampered.
- Last but not least - wear comfortable and supportive shoegears to prevent injuries to your feet and ankles.
If there is any concern about your feet, check in with one of our podiatric experts at Feet 'N Beyond. You would need this pair of feet last for life time - with routine attentions for your feet would help you achieve that goal.
At Feet 'N Beyond, Dr. Helene Nguyen, Dr. Vilayvanh Sysounthone, and Dr. Yong Zhu are here to take care of any problems that your feet and and ankle would need attention.
Remember Love your feet, Love your life. Happy Valentine's Day.
Feet 'N Beyond of New Jersey, P.A.
Foot and Ankle Specialist
Parsippany - Hackettstown
Finding shoes can be a simple task, people enjoy shop for shoes that fit for their styles, their occasions, their activities or just for their hobbies. Finding the shoes that fit well and provide good comfort is toughest part of the process. A bad shoe day can give heel pain, arch pain or even blisters. For diabetic patients, finding a good fit pair of shoes is the task that can't be taken likely. Poor shoes fitting can cause more harm and trigger other serious limb issues.
Here are tips for buying or choosing shoes for Diabetes
- Proper Fit: Enough room in toebox (front of feet) that the toes can wiggle without any tightness. Shop for shoes at the end of the day to give accurate fitting.
- Good Material: Soft and stretchable material to give room for foot swell at the end of the day.
- Good Support: Always look for good arch support, heel support to absorb the shock during ambulation.
- Snug & Secure: Always choose with lace or velcro closures to give stability while walking.
- Good Start: For any new shoes, take time to slowly break-in these shoes, and inspect the feet everyday after first few wears for any blisters, redness or even abrasions.
- Time to Toss: It's time to change to new shoes when the outter soles are worn out, inner soles become flat out and torn, and the shoes counter collapse in or to the side.
At Feet 'N Beyond of New Jersey, we are specialize in diabetic foot health and provide you the recommended shoewears that appropriate for your foot conditions or deformity.
Our Therapeutic Shoes Program for Diabetes provides a variety selections of shoewear that would fit your need and style. Call us today for an appointment with one of our podiatric physicians.
Remember one pair of feet must last a lifetime.
Check out June Featured Educational Video
Click on the image above or link below to play the video
You can always go Education Video section to learn about the featured video as well as many more podiatric conditions on video formats for you to enjoy.
Thank you for visiting Feet 'N Beyond Blog. Contact us for any questions.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.